Courses for Forces
Courses for Forces in Devon
Running Deer’s Courses for Forces programme provided training and qualifications for transitioning armed forces personnel and veterans.
Our funded pilot project saw the majority of our students go on to find work in civvy street, or set up their own business. We also created employment for some of the students who, having completed our mentoring programme, have gone on to support young people who are disengaged and at risk of exclusion.
We are able to offer this course to veterans, subject to funding. This 8 week course gives students an understanding of woodland management with all the elements of traditional rural skills, and green woodworking including carpentry, plus practical experience of working on real projects.
Subjects covered during this course include:
- Carpentry and green woodworking including tool use, selecting wood, rip sawing, splitting and cleaving, hewing, chisels, using a shave horse and pole lathe, designing and completing their own woodwork project.
- Woodland management including coppicing, coppice crafts such as hurdle making or charcoal burning, tree felling, timber processing, tree planting, tree and plant identification, conservation including introduction to working with heavy horses in a woodland environment.
- Linear boundary management including traditional hedge laying, stone walling and waterways management.
Plus formal qualifications and training including:
- First Aid in the Workplace Level 3 .
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross cut licence.
- Chainsaw Small Tree Felling licence.
- Leadership and Mentoring training.
- Employability workshops.
These courses can not be delivered without the generous support of local and national businesses through our sponsorship schemes. If you are a local or national business interested in sponsoring our Courses for Forces programme please contact us.
“Running Deer do so much for veterans like myself! Thank you Jo and the rest of the team for changing my life.”
Pete | Devon and Dorsets
“From the moment I crossed the threshold into the woods my life changed for the better!”
Jim | RAF
“Everyone, and I mean everyone should take this course. It’s great fun, very cathartic and gives you a sense of belonging”
Harry | Student
Running Deer CIC is a Devon based enterprise set up to support local people including those at risk of exclusion. We provide activities and opportunities based around traditional rural skills, bushcraft, equine assisted learning, dog therapy, green woodworking and conservation.
Running Deer School is a DfE registered independent school (registration number: 878/6067) for young people with Special Educational Needs.
Running Deer CIC is a not for profit organisation and company limited by guarantee. Company No: 7605814. VAT Reg No: 289345260.
Telephone: +44(0)1647 400201
Email: enquires at runningdeer.org.uk
Address: Butterdon Wood, Moretonhampstead, Devon, TQ13 8PY